Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Five weeks...

I thought I had stopped counting time by weeks and months years ago after Samantha turned one. I realize now that I will probably be counting time by weeks and months for a while.

My Dad is famous (or maybe infamous) for reminding us all of their historic RV trip many years ago. He calls every summer to report "Do you know where we were at this time x number of years ago?" I think I'm following in his footsteps because every Tuesday for the last 5 weeks I've thought about where I was and what was going on on December 22nd.

About "an hour ago" I was waking up and wishing I could go back to sleep. I had a long night ahead. I'm so thankful for all of the prayers that were said for me at that time. I spent that night praying since I couldn't get much rest. The faces of my sweet husband and children ran through my mind all night long. I had an overwhelming understanding that the Atonement was not only for our mistakes but for all of our pain and heartache while on this earth. I recalled the words of a blessing that Rich had given me a few days before. He felt inspired to say that this would be my fight and I would have to choose to fight it but that Heavenly Father would give me strength to do so. I know that He has and will continue.

To explain Rich's previous post a little more, my tumor is the kind that will not react to chemotherapy as well as we'd hope. UAB was offering a trial that added a medication to help the chemo along. That study has already reached it's limit of participants meaning that I am unable to join.

So, here I am, 5 weeks out from surgery, elbow deep in research, paperwork, emails, messages, and books regarding trials at universities across the country as well as Doctors who are having success using newer treatments. Physically, I am feeling great. I am in the small window of being healed from surgery and not yet dealing with side effects of treatment. My mom and I have spent a ton of time together getting Zach's and Jennifer's Wizard of Oz costumes ready. We spent a few hours grocery shopping yesterday and it was the first time in a looong time that I was THANKFUL to be out shopping since it's one of my least favorite jobs. Andrea and Ryan took me to eat lunch with Samantha. Ryan was excited to see what "school lunch" was like! It was nice to enjoy time at Chestnut Grove visiting with friends there. I love and appreciate the friendships I have developed with my childrens' teachers throughout the years. They are amazing people.

My days are also filled with what I call "friend-nappings"...Lisa "friend-napped" me to Huntsville for some book shopping and a tasty lunch. I'm being "friend-napped" by Patty to help deliver Meals on Wheels. My good friend Amy flew in from Singapore just to have lunch with me (okay, that's a stretch). I'm going with Debbie and her mom to the Birmingham Temple. This doesn't include the cards and surprise packages we've received over the last few weeks! I am so thankful for good friends and family. What a blessing!!

I want to end this post with the words from a few things my Mom has given me over the last few weeks...a bookmark and some framed artwork.

What God Hath Promised
God hath not promised skies always blue, flower-strewn pathways all our lives through. God hath not promised sun without rain, joy without sorrow, peace without pain. But God hath promised strength for the day, rest for the laborer, light on the way; Grace for the trial, help from above. Unfailing sympathy, undying love.

Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid ... for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

Again, what a blessing!!

1 comment:

  1. Amy, your strength and postive outlook on life is an example to me and all who know you. I love you so much. Keep up the fight.

    ReplyDelete