Friday, March 1, 2013

Make Lemonade

As our Family began this journey, we prayed like everyday was a gift, an additional day that we were blessed with to build memories together as a family and to strengthen each other and to prepare that we will want to be together for eternity.  After discussing this with the kids recently, I think we can say goal accomplished.  We had some splinter groups that would have not agreed three years ago.  I'd say most would have left me off their list some days.  But Amy was on all our lists, and that hasn't and will never change.

We have effectively made Lemonade out of our lemons.  Each of us has demonstrated our love for each other on a regular basis, and not just because Amy is sick.  Our attention was gotten, be ready always.

We got our MRI results Tuesday and though the news was not good, none of us were jolted.  We've known all along that Heavenly Father can heal Amy, but at least at this point, it's looking like He has other plans for her.  The growth (the new nasty one) has doubled.  Amy has stood her ground not wanting the PCV, and I can support her, in not wanting to be made to unresponsive by the medications.  Dr. Becdach will support her decision, as I imagine all doctors would, but we have an opportunity to keep him involved through the Hospice Care program, since he is one of their Director and Doctors.  They will assist us in making Amy comfortable and hopefully being at home for as long as may be possible.

I started this post on Tuesday and was pulled away as Amy was experiencing pain and nausea that we couldn't control at home.  The nausea prevented any pain medication, and the pain caused the nausea.  There were options to wait and see if more trips to the pharmacy could ease her pain, but I could not let her suffer, so we called EMS and had her taken to the hospital to be treated with pain management.  Day one (Wednesday) we found her comfort with Dilaudid (never heard of this before) and  Zofran.  I was determined that this was a lite headache gone bad, since we couldn't give her medications, and that once under control, we'd  be home and enjoying time together again as we were two days ago.  We've been lowering her pain medications to see where she will be most alert, but not in pain, and she has started to eat again, so the decision for her to come home still seems reasonable.  Hospice assures me they can help to bring her home under most conditions.  The soonest we are likely to try is Saturday.

I encourage any who feel prompted to visit with Amy, to do so.  Contacting me or her mom Debby Smith.

The kids and I, as well as I am sure Amy, are feeling the support of many of you who are praying for us, and appreciate all the thoughts from those who are offering to do something.  There's not much need here, but it's a testimony of how Amy has touched so many lives, I think always for the better.

I know she is prepared to meet her Father in Heaven, and is willing to do so on His time.  Her Faith and Testimony are strong, and though she has much work ahead of her, she has always been willing to serve.  We hope to ease her mind and know that all will be well, when and if (yeah, it's still within His power), He decided to take her.

My love to all you, and hope that you can share in the peace that I know Amy, the kids and I do feel, that "All is Well".

Rich

4 comments:

  1. I heard just tonight when Uncle Dick & Aunt Genny came for dinner that Amy's doing poorly. My love and prayers are with you all. I was just telling my husband about Amy. She has to be the most optimistic young woman I've ever known! She is such a happy, cheerful, kind hearted, loving individual I believe I've ever had the privilege of knowing - and I've related to her! Bonus!! Please let her know how much I love her. Give your kids a hug from me and Rich, may God lift you and carry you through this difficult time. Debby & Ron, may the Lord strengthen you and bless you. What a choice spirit you were blessed with to raise and have set such a grand example for your other children to emulate. I love you. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard. I am truly in awe of you, your wife, your children, your faith and your strength. I send thoughts and prayers your way daily and want you to know that your family is there with you every minute, maybe not in body, as distance prevents this, but in heart and spirit and love. Give Amy our love and let her know we share her peace. Helen Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first met Amy on the Disboards and tonight her husband posted that she is in decline. Blessings to all of you as you move this through part of Amy's journey. It was my pleasure to "meet her" at the DIS. Let Amy know that her friends from the DIS are surrounding her with pixie dust and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just learned this morning about the events of the past week. Please know that you are in my prayers, and please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Give Amy a hug for me!

    Mary Sue Fleischauer

    ReplyDelete