Well, today I went to a new clinic to prepare for my radiation treatment. The radiation specialist here in town believes that the clinic in Huntsville will be better able to treat me while avoiding areas of my brain that would cause damage. They use cone beam technology that involves more precise scanning to pinpoint the exact areas for treatment. They overlay the CT scans that they take over the MRIs I have to make their adjustments. They will do more frequent scans to make sure they have the right location.
As you can understand this radiation treatment requires me to be completely still. In order to ensure that I do not move they fit me for a special mask that will be bolted to the table. It was like having a warm washcloth placed over my face...if I closed my eyes I felt like I was in a spa! Then they stretched it out and began fanning it to make it dry. They then placed marks on the proper areas to be treated. If you want to see pictures of what the mask looks like you can google it. Many people feel claustrophobic being "bolted" down to the table even though the mask is like a plastic net. They let me know that I could have some medication if I ever felt that way. I think that if I was able to conquer my claustrophobia by spending an hour in the teeny tiny MRI machine at UAB just a few hours after surgery I can SURELY get through this mask thing easily!!! Some of the side effects of radiation are hair loss at the areas of treatment, skin irritation in those areas, fatigue, and then swelling in the brain where they are treating. If there is swelling I may begin having symptoms similar to before surgery. That would require me to be on a steroid again to help with the inflammation. Please continue to pray that I will be able to avoid many of these side effects. Some tiredness I can deal with...I'll just make my Sunday nap an everyday requirement!!! The rest, I'd like to do without!
The plan is to begin radiation the first week of March. I will be going to Huntsville every weekday for about an hour. Rich is excited...he's hoping we'll have lots of lunch dates! If anyone wants a buddy for shopping or lunch let me know and we can carpool!!! Just don't be surprised if after a few weeks of treatment I want to shop in one of those handy scooters!!
Thanks again for all of the well-wishes, cards, and phone calls. We have been so blessed and feel so loved.
Love,
Amy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Please let me know if I can help with babysitting, or carpooling, or whatever while you go to Huntsville for these treatments. Our thoughts and prayers continue to go out to you and your family. I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to you at Church yesterday. I just don't want you to think I'm forgettin' about ya! Good luck with these radiation appointments!! And again, PLEASE let me know if there is any way I can help. ~Evelyn
ReplyDelete