Thursday, June 7, 2012

We're going to dance this summer!!!

     Well, summer has officially arrived at the Hull household!!!  And, boy are we thankful!  Late night stargazing and lazy afternoons....gotta love those! 

    It also means that it was time for another MRI.  We really didn't know what to expect because so many of the scans had been stable but we knew the results were not what we'd hoped for when Dr. Becdach called early one morning and asked for us to come in very early the next morning....a full week before my regularly scheduled appointment.  The tumor has grown.  It is wrapping around one of the ventricles and according to one measurement, it's increased by 32%.   

    Although I'm so disappointed, I still feel so very blessed and thankful that despite that much growth I've shown no signs...no severe memory loss, no motor impairments, and no major headaches or dizziness. 

     As far as treatments, I will continue on the same plan I am currently following along with adding a drug called Irinotecan (or CPT 11).  CPT11 was the treatment that Duke University was working on when we visited back in the spring of 2010.  It has shown good success and seems to be mostly tolerable to the patients on it.  Even still, it will be the most harsh treatment I will have been on yet.  There are still others that we are prepared to try, some I have been on before, Zolinza and Nexavar, and even more that are in trials, that may open up before we need them.


    We will be traveling to meet with Dr. Burzynski at the end of June.  We are all still eagerly awaiting the day when his Phase III trial for antineoplastons begins.  So for now, I've begun this treatment and my scans will occur more frequently to judge the effectiveness of the CPT 11.Tuesday was the first dose and I felt great!!  Of course, the straight up shot of steroids helped!  I had so much energy but barely slept that night.  Two steps forward, three steps back, right?  At least we can make a dance out of those steps!  And I LOVE to dance!  Rich and I met dancing so we're READY!!!
 
We know that so many are praying for us and sometimes wish to know what, specifically, you can pray for.  At this time we would ask that you pray not only that this new treatment work against the tumor's growth but that the side effects will be minimal. 
 
We love you all and thank you more than we can ever express for the thoughts, prayers, and acts of service both large and small.  Sincerely, Rich and Amy 

3 comments:

  1. Faith and courage - you have ample of both! God bless you during this next phase!

    xxoo, The Maloneys

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to tell you that even though Justin is no longer at ITT and we're no longer in the area, we think about you both, and your beautiful children often. I just saw this update and I hope you will write again so we know how you all are doing. I know that there is little comfort we can offer you from so far away, but we are with you in spirit and are sending all of you thoughts of courage and peace.

    Justin and Melody Melvin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a fellow DISer hoping to see that you are still doing well. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete