Tuesday, March 9, 2010

11 of 30 treatments down!

I hope I don't bore anyone with titles like that. It's the only way I stay happy about the radiation. Our family has a habit of counting things down...days until vacations, until school is out, until loved ones arrive, and until fun family events. I like my friend Jenny's suggestion to think of the radiation as rays of sunlight. So that's what I do. I'm on the beach with the warm sunshine beating down while a cool breeze blows by.

So far I'm still feeling good. The fatigue is starting to hit me though and my iron has been running low (even with my oral supplement) so my oncologist has begun a weekly IV iron treatment. I began my new oral treatment from Dr. Burzynski this week. Hopefully this, in correlation with the radiation treatment, will result in some deterioration in the tumor and tumor bed.

My appointment time has been changed AGAIN. Unfortunately patients under Medicare/Medicaid can only be treated at certain times so the private insurance patients can be bumped from their spots to accommodate the others. It's very frustrating. So instead of 11:40 my "permanent" time will be at 9:40. It's obviously subject to change though.

The weather has been so beautiful lately we've been able to enjoy a few of Nicholas and Katelyn's soccer games. I love this time of year here in Alabama. The days can be just the perfect temperature with a bright sun and the nights are just chilly enough to need a sweater or jacket. Plus there are no bugs out yet!!!

The other night Samantha came downstairs and told me she was writing a song for me on her guitar. She had her cute little head mic on and invited me to come listen to her sing it. She said she had a few verses and was still making up more. So, being a mom, I recorded it! Tears were streaming down my eyes as she sang...it's just a simple song but it touched me that she had thought so much about it. She gave me permission to share it with everyone so I will figure out a way to do so.

Zachary was having a hard time falling asleep one night and asked if he could lay with me. His face was wet with tears and he continued to cry for a little while. He told me he couldn't stop thinking about my cancer. Please continue to pray not only for my health but for my family as well. We all need strength.

Over the last few weeks a few themes have been repeated in my life. First, we should find joy in our journey here on earth. This is certainly a time of trial and tribulation but also of great joy, happiness, and beauty. It is up to us to find it. Second, the power of prayer is amazing. It brings people of all faiths, races, and nationalities together. I am thankful for each prayer that is said for us.

1 comment:

  1. your strength continues to amaze me, amy. thank you for sharing your spirit.

    ReplyDelete